13 April, 2009

The Small Sweet Boons

I read this poem in an old Arizona Highways magazine from 1980, and I melted a little.

Dim are his eyes who cannot see

First bud birth on a desert tree,

Nor notice in the morning sun

A spider's gossamer new-spun.

Dull are his ears who cannot hear

The softness of a walking deer,

Nor sense in the subtly changing tune

Of crickets in late afternoon.

Deprived of his primevil right
Is he who misses brief delight
In small boons of nature's giving
That serves to temper human living.
-S. Omar Barker

2 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you posted this poem. I read it in the same magazine when I was 16 and had the same reaction. It has been my favorite poem ever since. It was nice to find it again as I was beginning to forget the words. Thank you.

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you posted this poem. I read it in the same magazine when I was 16 and had the same reaction. It has been my favorite poem ever since. It was nice to find it again as I was beginning to forget the words. Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home