16 October, 2009

Big Horn Sheep

I was walking along the trail to Beaver Falls, when I turned a corner and ran into this large ram. I was completely shocked! I have only ever seen big horns perched on two inch ledges on the sides of mountains, and I really didn't know what to do because this situation is so rare. I decided to slowly back up and hide behind a tree.
He wandered over to the vines and began munching and didn't seem too bothered to have an audience.
Shortly later, I discovered he was not alone. There was a mother and her baby and a young male.
It just kept getting better! I ran into another huge male. This one was sitting on a cliff above Beaver Falls, surveying his kingdom while chewing on some grass. I was so insignificant to him that he didn't even bother to turn his head; he just glanced at me out of the corner of his eye. I have never been this close to big horns, and in one day I discovered eight of them, living in this canyon. This surprise was almost better than the waterfalls.

1 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger Meandering Michael said...

Wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home