16 October, 2009

Beaver Falls

Then, the trail heads further down Havasu Canyon to its intersection with Beaver Canyon. About two miles in, I came upon a series of terraced travertine waterfalls known as Beaver Falls. They are gorgeous!
This lovely trail turned out to be my favorite part of the entire trip. It was so diverse and tropical with many suprises along the way. There are various trails down the canyon, and they are usually not more than 30 feet apart and end up in the same place eventually, so there is no right or wrong way; you simply follow the river. At one point, I got stuck. I couldn't go back the way I had come because I jumped off a cliff. That meant I had to cross the river. This was not easy since the canyon was narrow here, and perilous Beaver Falls lay 100 feet down the river. I took off my pants and tried to walk across holding this log. It was way too deep, so I ended up straddling this log, and scooching myself across. It wouldn't have been so bad except at the very moment I entered the water, a man appeared on the other side of the river and watched, open-mouthed, as the crazy woman crossed the river in her panties.
I found a massive nest and couldn't imagine what gigantic animals would do that. I soon found out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home